In March 2019, I decided it would be a good idea to start working on a visual redesign for Koalati. A few days later, I had built mock-ups that felt much cleaner, more professional and most importantly: easier to use than the original interface I had designed when I started the project. However, when I started implementing this new design, it dawned on me that this would be a lot more than just a visual revamp.
To give you some context, I started Koalati as a simple personal project back in 2016 to make my life easier whenever a website launch would make its way to my desk at work. Although I had already been creating websites and applications for years at that point, this was my first real job after graduating from college. I had never worked with a team to build projects for paying clients, so needless to say I learned a lot about development standards and good practices, user experience, SEO, and much more.
The point I am trying to make is that the codebase for Koalati was a bit of a mess in the original version, as I simply wasn't experienced enough in the web application realm at the time. So although I went in with the intention of simply making Koalati look better, I ended up tearing through most of the codebase in order to standardize, optimize and improve the entire project.
To make a long story short, and because bullet lists tend to do quite well in blog articles, here is a summary of the past few months of development for the "new and improved" Koalati:
Overall, although the primary objective behind the project is still the same, Koalati has made a big step forward into becoming a lot more than just a personal project. The application is now built to grow, and hopefully you will get to use our tools and services to grow alongside us.
Stay tuned in the next couple of days to read more about what's coming next on Koalati (sneak peek: new tools, fully responsive UI, and more!)